Sunday, May 9, 2010

the more that i think about it, the more outrageous it gets!

what they have done is taken us crips from being the bosses of our attendants. Now we are required to pick from the pool of people who are under contract with the state, who have agreed to follow the state's rules, etc. So the state is the boss, leaving the crip powerless to tell her attendant what she wants... To go to the store, to use tampons, etc. This is dangerous!

Also being limited to IN-HOME is bizarre. It makes me question my reading of the rule book! We don't just use our attendants at home! The rule book seems to say services should be done in the home. It said attendants can only drive their clients to the doctor's [all other Trips should be on paratransit]. But the attendant can't wait in the doctor's office. Well, Linda as my attendant translatesfor me at the doctor's [not to mention taking me to the bathroom, giving me a drink, etc.]. So going to the doctor's is impossible without Linda. And I will not go in hospital without Linda! That would be suicide! In reality all my travels are like that.

as I write this, I'm thinking i must have misread it! It couldn't be saying services should be solely in-home. But if I am indeed misreading it, a lot of people are misreading it with extremely dangerous possible results.

And if I am not misreading it, and if IHSS is now only providing house servants... Henry, are there programs that fund personal attendants for my life in the outside community?

In Freedom,
Frank Moore

No comments: